Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Cod and kale linguine

Superfoods are a special category of foods found in nature. By definition they are calorie sparse and nutrient dense meaning they pack a lot of punch for their weight as far as goodness goes. They are superior sources of anti-oxidants and essential nutrients - nutrients we need but cannot make ourselves (like fiber). Kale is considered a superfood....and cod provides a variety of nutrients and is a great source of high-quality protein, omega-3, vitamin B6, and vitamin B12. It's actually said that eating one to two 3-ounce servings of fish per week reduces the risk of dying from heart disease by 36 percent.  Sign me up for some yummy healthy food after all the tailgating craptastic food I've been consuming lately! I've been looking for more seafood recipes and came across this one....I was immediately at the store buying the ingredients before I could even think twice.  Plus the leftover kale can be used in Mama K's tortelini soup (don'tcha just love it when the stars align)....which will be posted after this....mmmm, YAY for soups in the Fall!  :)

Mmmmm, look at the green leafy goodness!


Here's what you need:

whole wheat linguine
3 T olive oil
3 cod fillets (this recipe actually works for however many you want but I needed 3)
1/2 bunch of kale, cut up
crushed red pepper
2 T lemon juice

I also added:

1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup leftover szecuan mushrooms from our steaks
1 T minced garlic

Heat 1 T of olive oil in a skillet and place your cod in the pan to cook.  Season these with salt and pepper before flipping. I had my water boiling and added my linguine to the pot before I started anything with the fish.  Cook cod until lightly browned and opaque, about 8 minutes, only flipping once. Take cod out of the pan and set aside.

Add 1 T olive oil to the pan and cook kale, mushrooms, tomatoes, salt and pepper, lemon juice, and garlic until kale begins to wilt....about 3 minutes. Add 2 T water, cover, and cook until kale is tender, around 6 minutes. Add cod back to skillet to warm.  How flipping pretty is that??  Oh and it smelled phenom! 


Drain the linguine (toss with the remainder of the olive oil), and add the cod, veggies, and sauce to the noodles.  I used quite a bit of crushed red pepper, for some reason it works so well with olive oil in my mouth.  Cod is so naturally un-fishy of a fish that Justin actually asked me if it was chicken or fish when he tried this. I sprinkled a little reduced fat parmesan cheese on this and I was in heaven...


Very light tasting for a pasta, healthy, feel good, yumsical dinner.   I'm kicking myself for rushing out of the house this morning and forgetting leftovers for lunch.  Enjoy :)


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment