Thursday, September 29, 2011

Baked havarti chicken

As I've said before, chicken gets boring.  We all know that. Although I have a few great go-to's for plain old chicken breast (this one being my absolute fave), I'm always looking to expand my repertoire in the poultry genre.  Justin is sometimes a fan of this, and other times whines (yes, boys that big can whine) to me that we never eat the same thing twice.  Well, if it's not great, it's not getting made twice.  This was one that I couldnt quite put my finger on though...not sure if I liked it or loved it.

This has some intense flavors and could be very overwhelming to some people...for example, if you are not a fan of dill, you may as well skip to another post. We don't eat a lot of dill of a regular basis so it was sort of a divebomb on the tastebuds, but after halfway through I realized I sort of really enjoyed all the melding of strong ingredients.  But, you can decide for yourself I suppose...let me know what you think!

I have had this havarti cheese with dill for longer than I should have, trying to find a fun way to use it since it sort of scared me. I always have chicken breasts in the freezer and all the other ingredients seemed to be on hand so this was sort of a "well, I've got everything, better just give it a shot" type thing.

4 bonesless skinless chicken breast halves
1 can mushrooms (recipe called for fresh but I didn't have any on hand, it probably would have been better with fresh to omit some of the saltiness)
1 can whole green chili peppers (these are not spicy so don't get your pants/panties in a wad if you're not a heat seeker)
4 oz sliced havarti cheese with dill
italian dressing (fat free)
1 T butter
1 T white cooking wine
1 T worcestershershershershershire sauce (I never know how to say that, lol)
1 t garlic salt (I would use garlic powder next time to alleviate the saltiness as well)

Marinate the chicken in Italian dressing for at least 30 minutes but you could do overnight if you so desire...


Preheat oven to 400 degrees and throw the chicken in there in a baking dishfor about 25 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center and jices run clear.  Shortly before the chicken is done, melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat until bubbling.  Pour in wine, worcestershire sauce (see, I do know how to spell it), and garlic salt, and bring to a boil. Stir in mushrooms and reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until mushrooms are tender (3-5 minutes).


Remove chicken from oven and lay green chili clices on top of each breast, then top each chili with slices of chese.  Return to the oven until cheese has melted. I realize this looks like a metric shit-ton of cheese but a lot of it melts off into the baking dish so don't judge me....


Remove chicken from the oven, top with mushrooms and pan juices, and serve.  This would've been phenom with some long grain rice to soak up all the juices but I'm trying to cut the late night carbs as much as possible so we're sticking with the protein plus veggie dynamic this week...I paired it with a side of the freezer sweet corn I made a while back.



Like the drip spots on the plate? I've never claimed to be a sweet food photog, I've got too much saliva falling out of my mouth to snap more than a couple pics before I begin to inhale....so just imagine this on some beautiful china with perfect lighting and a gorgeous backdrop for me.  Thanks :)


Pin It


No comments:

Post a Comment